On todays episode of The Pineapple Couch w/ Brob, I am joined by my dad to discuss Tom Brady signing with the Bucks. Phillip Rivers signing with the Colts and other NFL free agency news. Later, Dustin joins the show to breakdown one of our favorite movies Iron Man 1.
Sports will be gone from our lives for the foreseeable future, so I will continue to put out some memorable highlights to help bring some joy in this shitty time.
Tracy McGrady scores 13 points in 35 seconds vs. Spurs
T Mac! 13 points in 35 seconds against the Spurs. Tracy McGrady was one of the best scorers of all time and imagine what he might have done in an offensive heavy era like we have right now (no hand checking!!).
2007 Eastern Conference Finals Game 5: Cavs @ Pistons
Lebron James coming out party. We all knew Lebron was going to be great, but this confirmed it. Basically a one man machine taking down one of the best defensive teams and one of the toughest teams in NBA history. Don’t say I never said anything nice about Lebron.
1986 Eastern Conference 1st Round Game 2: Bulls @ Celtics
MJ dropping a playoff career high of 63 against Larry Bird and the 86 Celtics. MJ may not have assumed his throne yet, but he was coming.
1993 Western Conference Finals Game 5: Sonics @ Suns
The round mound of rebound! The Chuckster with a triple double and the win! I know everyone always jokes about how he doesn’t have a ring (including me), but my god… Charles Barkley was a god damn animal and seems like he would be the perfect “small ball five” in the modern era.
1979 NCAA Basketball National Championship Game: Michigan State vs Indiana State
The OG Bird- Magic matchup. The two most iconic basketball players of the 80s facing off for the first time. What a treat!
Hope this helps ease the pain of Sports being gone. (Yes I know their are much bigger problems going on)
Love you guys
Some lovely tracks to accompany you on this Saturday morning. Don’t be afraid to sing along.
Corona virus came for the sports world and went for the head. The NBA, NHL, MLB and college tournaments have all been cancelled. March Madness has been taken away from us for the first time since 1939. This sucks. So, to help everyone out as we try to make the time go by until sports return, here are some classic moments across sports guaranteed to make today a little better.
Klay Thompson’s 41 points in Game 6 vs OKC
Remember when Klay Thompson ended the Oklahoma City Thunder as a franchise. Good times.
Butler vs Duke 2010 National Championship Game
One of the best games of basketball I can remember. The origin of Brad Stevens and many more! God damn I still wish that Hayward shot went in.
2004 ALCS Game 4: Yankees vs Red Sox
Big Papi… that is all.
2000 Western Conference Finals Game 7: Lakers vs Blazers
Kobe to Shaq. The greatest alley oop we will ever see. Miss you Kobe
2011 NBA Finals: Mavericks vs Heat
I was going to lie and say the reason I included this video was because of how great Dirk played, but we know that’s not true. MJ> Lebron
2015 ALDS Game 5: Blue Jays vs Rangers
Jose Bautista with a HOF bat flip. God damn sports are the greatest.
2009 NBA Playoffs: Celtics vs Bulls Game 6
Rondo fights with Kirk Heinrich and Brad Miller! Ray Allen goes off! Rookie Derrick Rose! 3 overtimes!!!! FUCK I am going to miss basketball.
That concludes tonight’s journey. Hope you join me next time. Stay safe. Love you guys.
Welcome back. We have a great slate of college basketball today/tonight as well as some big regular season NBA matchups.
This weeks record: 4-5
St Johns +9
Today’s Best Bets:
- UNC -3 vs Syracuse
- I like the Tar Heels to take out Syracuse here for a few reasons. I think Cole Anthony will have a great day shooting the ball against Syracuse’s 2-3 Zone and I also like the UNC big men to win the rebounding battle. UNC has won 9 consecutive games against Syracuse and I look for that to continue tonight.
- TCU -2 vs Kansas State
- Kansas State has lost 10 of its last 11 games and I don’t think today’s game against TCU will be any different. TCU handled K St in their last matchup and is 11-5 on the year when favored.
- Arkansas -9.5 vs Vanderbilt
- Vanderbilt SUCKS. Arkansas has beat them 9 out of the last 10 times they played including a 20 point victory this season. Join me on the Muss Buss (Eric Musselman coaches Arkansas) tonight and take Arkansas -9.5.
- Washington +6 vs Arizona
- Washington started the season HOT with a win over Baylor, but then really struggled throughout the season. In typical Pac 12 fashion, they have been feisty down the stretch handing both Arizona and Arizona State conference losses. For this reason, I like Washington to keep it close and potentially beat Arizona.
- OKC Thunder -3.5 vs Utah Jazz
- I like the Thunder to protect home court here against their western conference rival. The Jazz are coming into this game winning 5 of their last 6 and the Thunder have won 17 of their last 22. If the playoffs started today, these two teams would face in the first round. The Jazz have a game lead over the Thunder and I think the Thunder will tie up that playoff race tonight especially because Shai Gilgeous Alexander is back in the line up.
- Lakers -7.5 vs Rockets
- The Lakers had a suprising loss last night against the Nets after their dominant weekend, so I look for the Lakers to bounce back here. The Lakers have already season this “super small ball” version of this Rockets team and I think they will be much more prepared this time around. Look for Anthony Davis to have a HUGE game.
Welcome back to best bets w/ brob.
Record this week: 2-2
- San Francisco +13
- Hofstra -3
Alright, so I am definitely avoiding the state of Utah tonight (sorry Steve).
- UNC -4.5 vs Virginia Tech
- UNC is a dangerous 14th seed in the ACC tournament. Cole Anthony of UNC is a top ten pick and the Tar heels have been playing way better than they were earlier in the season. I like UNC -4.5
- Hofstra -1.5 vs Northeastern
- Hofstra rolled for us last night, so we are going to go back to the well one more time. Hofstra beat Northeastern both times this season and has a record of 24-8 against the spread this season. Take Hofstra
- St Mary’s +9 vs Gonzaga
- St Mary’s is the defending champion of the WCC tournament and I like them to keep it close against Gonzaga. St Mary’s took out a very good BYU team last night and I think Gonzaga is already looking ahead to the NCAA tournament. Take St Mary’s plus the points.
- Grizzlies -2.5 vs Magic
- Memphis has been playing well as of late and has been successful thus far in holding off the Pelicans and Kings for the 8th seed in the west. Similarly, the Magic are holding onto the 8th seed in the east and have had the best offensive rating in the NBA in the last 11 games. I like Ja Morant and the Grizzlies to defend home court against a strangely hot Orlando team.
- Mavericks -3.5 @ Spurs
- The Spurs will not have Lamarcus Aldridge or Dejounte Murray for this matchup against the Mavs. I love the Mavs in this spot especially because of the way Kristaps Porzingis has been playing.
On today’s episode of The Pineapple Couch w/ Brob, I am joined by our resident NBA Insider John to discuss the Lakers big weekend (0:00- 14:05), the MVP race (14:05-17:05), and other NBA stories (17:05- 31:53).
Welcome. I am going to start putting out my gambling picks each day on twitter and instagram. I will also be updating this blog as the week goes on to give you guys my picks, the reasoning for those picks and to keep track of my record. So, whether or not you want to take my picks or fade them, you’ll be able to find them here…
Last weekend: 17-10 record
This week’s picks:
College Basketball Plays:
BYU -4 vs Saint Marys
- BYU is on a 9 game winning streak including a win against Gonzaga. Take the Cougars.
San Francisco +13 vs Gonzaga
- This will be the third time these teams face eachother this season. SF kept it close in the first matchup, but lost by 17 in the second. I like San Francisco +13 here because they have been playing well as of late and I think they will keep it close.
Hofstra -3 vs Deleware
- Hofstra is coming off two dominant wins and waxed Delaware by 16 in their last matchup. Leaning Hofstra as the play here.
Utah Jazz -4.5 vs Toronto Raptors
- Raptors are coming off a hard fought win last night vs the Kings and have only won both games in a back to back three out of nine times this season. The Jazz on the other hand have won five games in a row and are starting to finally make more sense as a team. I’m taking the Jazz here.
Thanks for reading and check back tomorrow for more picks!
Who would be a part of your 10 man (or woman) crew if you could only choose from movie or tv characters?
I am joined by Alex Kanter to discuss this on the latest episode of The Pineapple Couch.
On today’s episode of The Pineapple Couch w/ Brob, I am joined by Alex Kanter to discuss the life and legacy of Kobe Bryant (8:00- 18:20), break down the NBA All Star teams (18:20- 38:00), talk about the outcomes of the NBA trade deadline (38:00- 59:00 and we finish it up by drafting our all time TV/Movie characters (62:14- 86:00). Thank you for listening!